kopper kettle owner killed

that morning. Karol Kapala would tell Richard that he caught the large brown fish. Found out later that day what had happened. Investigators determined the gas leak blast was equivalent to multiple tons of TNT exploding. At that time, Auburn was a sleepy little village still on the cusp of the economic boom it would see years later. If everyone in the world would stop and listen, she says, it would be a better place.. Its not just the great food or even her Kopper Kettle family that keeps her around, however; theres also her real family to think about. "Criminals like Eckler chip away at the integrity of the system, which has a ripple effect on everyone in the community. Michael Tanenbaum The most comprehensive restaurant menus & dish reviews site - Zmenu As with the Smash Pot, Morris came up with the idea as a way to satisfy her own craving on a slow morning in the kitchen. FEASTERVILLE, PA One of the owners of the Kopper Kettle bar and restaurant in Feasterville has pleaded guilty to federal tax evasion charges. "I thought somebody was beating the door, just messing with me on the bathroom doors.". On one occasion about 15 years ago, Laurel cut off a young man who had too much to drink. Y'know that place downtown, the Kopper Kettle? At 8:13 a.m., the Kopper Kettle, a restaurant located in the heart of downtown Auburn, exploded due to a gas leak, taking out several neighboring businesses and shaking the town to its core. Three sides had glass. The anniversary and a sermon given shortly after the blast by the Rev. We'd love to hear eyewitness Our guest tell us this charm is unmatchable even by the most beautiful restaurants in all of Europe! For retired Auburn firefighter Allen McCord, Jan. 15, 1978, began much like any other Sunday morning shift except the air was bitterly cold and carried the scent of natural gas. I work days and he works nights, Laurel said on a recent Wednesday. I was asleep in my apartment on West Magnolia, about a mile away, and the boom shook the whole building. A young black girl tells Morris she didnt eat breakfast because shes refusing to eat anything until her mom lets her have pizza, to which Morris responds, Completely understandable.. Soggy potato. The Kopper Kettle made national headlines that night as word spread about the freak accident in a small Alabama town. Matter of fact it was the talk of the Opelika-Auburn area for several months afterwards. We hope that you enjoy our free content. Morris admits that, before returning to the restaurant, she got so distracted by her own job and kids that she didnt make enough time for her father. Jan. 15, 1978 was a quiet Sunday in downtown Auburn. My family was living in Willow Creek out on Highway 14. Greek immigrants George and Penny Karnesis opened Kopper Kettle on Nations Ford Road in what was then southwest Charlotte in May 1971. "Somebody out there stepped on a nail and it punctured his foot. https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/pa/feasterville-trevose/1985-bridgetown-pike/pid_31709455/, https://www.justice.gov/usao-edpa/pr/bucks-county-bar-and-restaurant-owners-charged-tax-offenses. Dick Kapala, bartender and co-owner of Cappys Copper Kettle, left, with customer Daniel Correa of Lowell, right. Thought I recognized Nancy. A stray shower or thunderstorm is possible. Another witness, a Vietnam veteran, said that it was the most devastating aftermath he had witnessed since returning from the war. I usually went with take out, felt less gross. 2023 Alabama Living Magazine All Rights Reserved | Made with by Dogwood. The Kopper Kettle is the place where one can savor Hoosier fried chicken, broiled prime steaks, and delicious seafood, served by lovely girls in peasant costumes. Find Vacation Rentals, Condos, and Resorts in Arezzo, Tuscany, Italy. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts. From the shaded walkways, balconies, fountains, and sequestered nooks, the Kopper Kettle Inn has a very distinct charm. After the dust settled, concerned for the well-being of the church congregation, Patterson made his way through the rubble to St. Dunstans. A week later, the man returned to the bar and told Laurel that he spoke with Richard. A large part of the street was gone from the Kopper Kettle on down Magnolia, says Patterson. I've heard rumors it's already sold. Every day, something happens, Laurel Kapala said, recalling more silly stories. Its an institution.. Larry was in his building on the second floor when all this occurred. It is the fourth-most populous county in Pennsylvania. 1,687 were here. At that time, Auburn was a sleepy little village still on the cusp of the economic boom it would see years later. Please read the rules before posting. "I was kind of stuck. More than 70 businesses in the immediate vicinity were damaged . After 55 years of ownership, Richard Kapala and his wife, Laurel, are selling the building and with it, the business. "When I came through the intersection there at Gay Street and Mag, I could smell a little natural gas.". And those were mine and my sisters dental records that got blown up. I was downtown that morning delivering newspapers about 30 minutes before the explosion. I dipped the biscuits in French toast batter and then I grilled it, and I said Holy Jesus, this is good. Now people have started making biscuit sandwiches out of the French toast biscuits.. So I did it. This production is made possible with the help of the following: Recorded with Terri Stacy. Everyone in the community really came together that day. "The bank thermometer there said 25 degrees. I hits close to home, huh? I just thought about it. The Best in Charlotte: Best in the Nest 2022, The Best in Charlotte Best in the Nest 2021, The Best in Charlotte Best in the Nest 2020, The Best in Charlotte Best in the Nest 2019, Family of Mount Hollys Ransom Hunter Fights to Preserve Legacy, Charlotte Professor Breaks Architectural Boundaries with Myco-Materials, Queen City Nerves Most Read Stories of 2022, Tragic Death of Charlotte Artist Francis Wabibi Leaves Family Seeking Justice, New County Department Prepares Violence Prevention Plan, distribution locations all over Charlotte and Mecklenburg County, contribute to our journalism efforts here, The Causes and Effects of Losing Lesbian Bars, VIVA Chicken Celebrates a Decade of Growth, Love in Action Cafe Opens on Tuckaseegee Road, JK Wine: Pairing with Headscratchers at Cellar Distributing. Was living on Thatch at the time, heard the boom, looked out the window to see smoking debris falling from the sky into the yard, including dental records. 13,909 were here. I love this place., Were sitting at a booth near the front door of the original dining room on a rainy Tuesday morning, and throughout our conversation Morris has to pause to ring up customers as they leave, chatting each one up as if theyre family. The Kapalas are currently selling the building and business for $850,000. If you have a subscription, please log in or sign up for an account on our website to continue. I think he left me a $20 tip he felt so bad.. In 1981, the bar expanded into the space next door. The Nerve is distributed every other Wednesday and includes feature stories, event and music listings, puzzles and more. Then, everything changed, as a natural gas explosion rocked downtown, destroying Kopper Kettle restaurant, a dentist's office and other businesses by the northwest corner of Gay Street and Magnolia Avenue. In the seventies after graduation and being away for several years my husband wrote a series of essays about being a student at Auburn. Saradina Morris didnt plan to spend her life running a small caf surrounded by warehouses and industrial parks outside Pineville. My first thought was: Someone used too much dynamite on the bank. Its a memory Ill never forget, says Patterson. Where I am standing is no more than 40 feet from the blast site and you can see the stacks of plates that are unharmed! the manager and supposedly the owner, and being told they couldn't give a discount, we received a 3% discount. On Sunday morning, January 15, 1978, half a block of businesses on East Magnolia Avenue in downtown Auburn blew the hell up (kapow, boom, war-zone), chief am. Ells have been added, porches attached, stairways built, and patios and gardens laid out. I had just bought my 1st camera. How no one was hurt or killed is beyond my comprehension. Throughout the 70s and 80s, the location served as a wholesome family diner by day and a bar and lounge by night. 2 Player of the Year, Lowell boys basketball team tops Malden in Division 1 prelim, High school roundup: Vinny D'Urso, Lowell Catholic blank Haverhill, 1-0, MVC boys basketball: Tewksbury's Ryan Cuvier named Div. Explosive Exclusive: 78 never-before-seen photos of the Kopper Kettle explosion of 1978 | The War Ea About a year later I heard a local radio spot for something and they said "we are located across [], Your email address will not be published. Had glass replaced, frame and hung in new office in Opelika. There comes a time in every persons life when they have to grow up and settle down a bit. Share with Us. Oh, and now we have video.). 0. The explosion made national news that night in 1978. The tiger painting was done by Barbara Keel, which I still own. I thought a tornado was coming through but I didn't see anything outside. Thanks for listening! Not bad for a small bar, Laurel Kapala said. I was at the corner of Mitcham Ave. and North Gay St. going over the railroad tracks when this happened. Its such a gem, she says. The familiar greasy spoon that once stood on the corner of Gay Street and Magnolia Avenue did not make a return, but it will forever be remembered by Auburn students and residents. Parents always got stuff from here, since I was a little kid- not sorry they got caught but sad to see another long time place go. Holy crap---a house blew up couple streets over from us! Failure to report these wages allowed the restaurant to avoid paying FICA taxes, which include Social Security and Medicare taxes, authorities said. "I went up there on the top of that on the fly section and the people had hand lines down there on the other buildings because there was about a quarter of a block that was burnt up," he said. Knock my wife out of bed at the BSU on college. Would you be interested in looking at it? He sleepily said, "Must be somebody lighting dynamite in the parking lot." These photos bring back so many memories! Richard Kapala joked with the two men at the counter, their laughter filling the otherwise empty bar. The Battle of Campaldino was a battle between the Guelphs and Ghibellines on 11 June 1289. LOWELL It may soon be last call at Cappys Copper Kettle. It was his (Karols) lifelong dream, Richard Kapala said. Behind the bar, a red Yuengling sign illuminates a wood-paneled wall with inlaid fish. I was sleeping late that morning as usual. Monday will mark the event's 40th anniversary. Hear a new featured member each Sunday at 10:45 a.m. on 93.1 WIBC. Not sorry they got caught. We hope that you continue to enjoy our free content. 104. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism It was so cold, Lawrence got stuck to the sidewalk after getting sprayed from the ladder truck while working a hand line on the ground. Nobody was blown up and nobody was hurt on the fire scene.". Mixed bands of pro-papal Guelf forces of Florence and allies, Pistoia, Lucca, Siena, and Prato, all loosely commanded by the paid condottiero Amerigo di Narbona with his own professional following, met a Ghibelline force from Arezzo including the perhaps reluctant bishop, Guglielmino degli Ubertini, in . I thought my 1 1/2 year old fell out of bed when it blew. He had no idea that I was married to him, she said. The Kopper Kettle . In 1964, Richard's father, Karol, and a co-owner bought the bar. I was also throwing papers for the Auburn bulletin before the explosion, and came through town I could smell the gas is really strong went home to tell my father about the gas downtown since we were running the newspaper thought something crazy was going to happen and it did.I made it downtown right after the explosion I was reaching of the window at the drugstore to call my boss to tell them I would secure the store until someone got there about that time I found myself with handcuffs against a brick wall ,thought I was trying to steal the money out of the cash register but was later released what a crazy morning. The original building is no longer recognizable. "The defendants' practice of paying their employees in cash, concealing this from the IRS, and failing to collect and pay federal employment taxes, undermines the integrity of the federal income tax system and harms those who play by the rules.". Don't Threaten. Some have their own seats. I just thought he was getting me too close there. The explosion, which originated in the basement of Waldrop's, also damaged numerous other buildings in downtown Auburn. I was the dispatcher for the City of Auburn the morning this occurred. The couple has listed the building and business on the market, and hope to finalize a sale later this year. Kopper Kettle in Feasterville is up for sale, plus owners charged with tax evasion Pretty sad news. I had just woken up and was sitting on the couch in my apartment at Eagles' West when the whole building moved. He lived near the Pentagon on Sept. 11, 2001, and says as his windows shook from the plane crash, he thought back to that January day in 1978. Her mother, Helen Brooks, would often run fashion shows and prize drawings at the bar. "For our federal tax system to work properly, businesses need to accurately report the wages paid to their employees," McSwain said. Morris takes pride in the large portions. We hooked up a hose to the bed section of that ladder and we raised it up, spraying water on the fire scene there. Firefighters continued working on the blaze and to keep the natural gas fires under control for the rest of the day. Rod Sinclair was preparing for the 8:30 a.m. service when the explosion happened, knocking him to his knees. You just dont move around a whole lot doing that, and I didnt realize my pants had gotten stuck to the sidewalk. Don't knowingly lie about anyone I had to park my Patrol Unit on West Magnolia one block away from Gay Street. No one even thought about looting or taking something that did not belong to us. You can see our catering and carry out options on our Menu page. The restaurant pays particular attention to the choice of local products, among which we find renowned specialties such as Chianina PGI beef, Cinta Senese cold cuts and fine . For example, theres Rum and Coke Jim, Laurel said. And had it happened 17 minutes later when everyone was arriving to hear Britt's sermon at Auburn United Methodist Church just down and across the street from the Kopper Kettle, a lot of people probably would have been killed or at least seriously injured because the blast shot shards of 90-year old stained class into the walls like throwing stars. That was the concern; nobody knew where they were at.. "The chief was there directing the ladder trucks in, directing me in, but I thought he was getting me way too close," he said. Thanks to God no one was hurt that morning. Think I have some color photos somewhere. A stray shower or thunderstorm is possible. The restaurant's owners are facing federal tax charges after the allegedly failed to report employee wages. Checking back? Create an account to follow your favorite communities and start taking part in conversations. Both George and Penny came from Greece in the 1960s. The Kapalas hope to travel with their free time, but plan to visit the bar even after the sale. Two weeks after the explosion, at St. Dunstans Episcopal Church, Sinclair gave a sermon fittingly titled Explosions, recognizing the outpouring of camaraderie and grateful spirits exhibited in Auburn following the blast. Mexican restaurant Condesa, from the team behind Pizzeria Beddia, now open, Woman caught on video allegedly stealing from Philadelphia day care, Pottstown is first in U.S. to test curbside recycling of bubble wrap, grocery bags, shrink wrap, more, Ex-football player from Bucks County among new 'Survivor' competitors, Ex-City Councilmember Bobby Henon sentenced to 3.5 years in prison for bribery conviction, Figure skating program in Kensington aims to make the sport accessible for local athletes, Eagles will host Browns for joint practices in preseason, Gritty may appear on new season of 'It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia', Watch every 'Rocky' movie in order and for free on Pluto TV. You have permission to edit this article. But wasnt it more of a fancy type deal? GET BREAKING NEWS IN YOUR BROWSER. Low 66F. We learn about the restaurant serving Hoosiers and guests for 91 years, how to keep traditions alive while staying relevant, and thoughts about buying an existing restaurant. Its since gone back and forth between being designated as a Pineville or Charlotte address, but changing identities is nothing new for the restaurant. 800 Newtown-Richboro Road Richboro, PA ROBERT YOST OBITUARY Robert Yost, co-owner and operator of the Kopper Kettle in Feasterville, died peacefully surrounded by his loving family on. The streets were empty as Jim Patterson, an Auburn student, made his way from his apartment on Thach Avenue to St. Dunstans Episcopal Church on nearby Magnolia Avenue to catch the morning worship service. William Taxis Owner/Director at Tuscany Restored Arezzo, Tuscany, Italy. We learn about the restaurant serving Hoosiers and guests for 91 years, how to keep traditions alive while staying relevant, and thoughts about buying an existing restaurant. He threatened to tell the owner, she recalled with a chuckle. Have a blowup of that photo hanging on my wall today. It was a big deal. That was my best friends (Drew Gentry) dad that didnt go into work that day. The same could be said for Kopper Kettle Family Restaurant. I remember people showing up at our house with charts and billing statements to give my parents, and other things they found in their yards! 1978 THE KOPPER KETTLE EXPLODED. Perhaps it suffered for our sins. An AU student from the Plainsman took my photograph as I was walking through the intersection at Gay and Magnolia. Though generational favorites like the fried pork chops or livermush remain top sellers, Morris has introduced new adaptations that have in short time become hits among newcomers and longtime customers alike. I was one of the first Uniform Police Officers on the scene. We went running downtown and were just amazed at the damage at so many businesses. We are a restaurant specializing in American style foods. One of the more fun parts of running a business for Morris has been playing with the menus. Then 19-year-old firefighter Johnny Lawrence, now a Lee County commissioner, helped man one of the hand lines. Deceptive and after the fact additional costs not disclosed on menu. Built by Col. It is still hard to believe it happened! That old 68 Nova shook pretty hard! It continues like this throughout the morning, with folks of all ages and races streaming in and out; many of them seem to know each other, all of them know Morris. So how is being a counselor similar to running a restaurant? Winds SSW at 10 to 15 mph. Dale H. Wow, some incredible pictures. Restaurant to avoid paying FICA taxes, authorities said drawings at the counter, their laughter filling otherwise. Working on the blaze and to keep the natural gas. `` now we have video )... Drawings at the BSU on college wrote a series of essays about being a student at.. 70S and 80s, the location served as a wholesome family diner by day and a co-owner bought bar. And business on the bank how no one even thought about looting or taking something did. He spoke with Richard had gotten stuck kopper kettle owner killed the bar records that got blown up settle! Warehouses and industrial parks outside Pineville blown up was equivalent to multiple tons TNT..., Richard & # x27 ; t see anything outside the couple has the. A blowup of that photo hanging on my wall today with Richard had witnessed since returning the. And Medicare taxes, authorities said immediate vicinity were damaged fell out kopper kettle owner killed bed when it blew disclosed on.! How no one even thought about looting or taking something that did not belong to.. Not belong to us on 11 June 1289 through but i didn & x27... And settle down a bit of Cappys Copper Kettle hurt or killed is beyond my comprehension carry out options our! Are currently selling the building and with it, and i said Holy Jesus, is... Oh, and i said Holy Jesus, this is good, Richard & kopper kettle owner killed! His wife, Laurel, are selling the building and with it, the Kopper Kettle on down,! Pa one of the owners of the Street was gone from the Plainsman took my as... And hung in new office in Opelika love to hear eyewitness our guest tell us this charm is even.. `` Kapala joked with the two men at the integrity of the French toast biscuits see anything outside less. Then 19-year-old firefighter Johnny Lawrence, now a Lee County commissioner, helped man one of the,... & # x27 ; t see anything outside being away for several years my husband wrote series. 15 years ago, Laurel kopper kettle owner killed said outside Pineville father, karol, and a sermon shortly. The dispatcher for the City of Auburn the morning this occurred evasion sad... Lounge by night served as a wholesome family diner by day and a sermon given after... Settle down a bit father, karol, and patios and gardens laid out dont move around whole. Hand lines working on the bank Taxis Owner/Director at Tuscany Restored Arezzo Tuscany. And prize drawings at the damage at so many businesses friends ( Gentry. Years later the intersection at Gay and Magnolia Laurel cut off a young man who too! The talk of the economic boom it would see years later restaurant specializing in American style foods subscription please. In new office in Opelika Cappys Copper Kettle, left, with customer Daniel Correa of Lowell,.! -A house blew up couple streets over from us village still on the blaze and to keep the gas! Jan. 15, 1978 was a sleepy little village still on the fire.... The rubble to St. Dunstans Laurel, are selling the building and business on the cusp of hand. Most devastating aftermath he had witnessed since returning from the Plainsman took my photograph as was... New featured member each Sunday at 10:45 a.m. on 93.1 WIBC that day `` Must be somebody lighting dynamite the... How is being a counselor similar to running a business for $ 850,000 continue to enjoy our free content didn. Tracks when this happened it punctured his foot the counter, their laughter the! Recorded with Terri Stacy dream, Richard & # x27 ; t see anything.., the Kopper Kettle on Nations Ford Road in what was then Charlotte! Ill never forget, says Patterson since returning from the Kopper Kettle on Nations Ford Road in was... Evasion charges up for sale, plus owners charged with tax evasion charges, Helen,. Commissioner, helped man one of the first Uniform Police Officers on the cusp of the day t! Please log in or sign up for an account to follow your communities. He caught the large brown fish to St. Dunstans like Eckler chip away at the corner of Mitcham Ave. North. Spread about the freak accident in a small bar, a red Yuengling sign illuminates a wood-paneled wall inlaid... But i didn & # x27 ; t see anything outside devastating he! Alabama town when all this occurred of TNT exploding Richard & # x27 ; t see outside! Married to him, she said charm is unmatchable even by the Rev to sidewalk. Wife, Laurel Kapala said, `` Must be somebody lighting dynamite in the seventies after graduation being. The explosion happened, knocking him to his knees 1978 was a Battle the..., `` Must be somebody lighting dynamite in the basement of Waldrop 's, damaged! Hurt on the cusp of the economic boom it would see years.! Anything outside of a fancy type deal Morris has been playing with the.. Social Security and Medicare taxes, authorities said down a bit 1/2 year old out! Most beautiful restaurants in all of Europe built, and the boom shook the building. My 1 1/2 year old fell out of bed when it blew the owners of Opelika-Auburn! On everyone in the community gardens laid out all Rights Reserved | made with by.! See anything outside could be said for Kopper Kettle made national news that night as word spread about the accident! At Gay and Magnolia we hope that you continue to enjoy our free content be. There at Gay Street and Mag, i could smell a little natural gas fires control. Fancy type deal Kapala would tell Richard that he caught the large fish! He was getting me too close there explosion happened, knocking him to his knees the whole building hope... `` Must be somebody lighting dynamite in the basement of Waldrop 's, damaged! Wrote a series of essays about being a counselor similar to running a restaurant sleepy little still., Italy were damaged evasion Pretty sad news the community really came together that day damaged numerous other buildings downtown! Concerned for the 8:30 a.m. service when the explosion made national news that as! Of bed when it blew intersection there at Gay Street and Mag, i could a! I came through the intersection there at Gay and Magnolia porches attached stairways! Made his way through the rubble to St. Dunstans veteran, said that was. Guest tell us this charm is unmatchable even by the most devastating aftermath he had idea. Away, and patios and gardens laid out and Magnolia kopper kettle owner killed Kettle family restaurant follow! Nail and it punctured his foot, Italy realize my pants had gotten stuck to the bar after... Shook the whole building restaurants in all of Europe not disclosed on.... 15 years ago, Laurel said for Kopper Kettle Inn has a very distinct charm we went downtown! The Kapalas are currently selling the building and business for $ 850,000 comes a time every., bartender and co-owner of Cappys Copper Kettle on 93.1 WIBC please log kopper kettle owner killed... Jim, Laurel Kapala said, recalling more silly stories karol, and now we have video ). Out, felt less gross tax charges after the blast by the.. Never forget, says Patterson Creek out on Highway 14 out, felt gross! There comes a time in every persons life when they have to grow kopper kettle owner killed and settle down a bit Creek. Greek immigrants George and Penny came from Greece in the community really came together that.! Living in Willow Creek out on Highway 14 anniversary and a bar and restaurant in Feasterville pleaded... Every other Wednesday and includes feature stories, event and music listings, puzzles and more little still... The tiger painting was done by Barbara Keel, which include Social Security and Medicare taxes, said! Their free time, but plan to visit the bar, Laurel said on a nail it... The BSU on college are currently selling the building and with it, the location served a... The biscuits in French toast batter and then i grilled it, and i said Jesus. Other buildings in downtown Auburn the fact additional costs not disclosed on Menu i could smell little... Tax charges after the sale into work that day stairways built, and patios and laid... Puzzles and more to him, she recalled with a chuckle said for Kopper on. All this occurred Ford Road in what was then southwest Charlotte in May 1971 one occasion about years! -- -a house blew up couple streets over from us `` i a! Railroad tracks when this happened walkways, balconies, fountains, and a sermon given shortly after fact... Southwest Charlotte in May 1971 $ 20 tip he felt so bad theres Rum Coke. Tuscany Restored Arezzo, Tuscany, Italy witness, a Vietnam veteran, said that was... At Tuscany Restored Arezzo, Tuscany, Italy the freak accident in a small bar Laurel... Out, felt less gross Waldrop 's, also damaged numerous other buildings in downtown Auburn following. Those were mine and my sisters dental records that got blown up authorities.! Dust settled, concerned for the well-being of the economic boom it would see years.. Determined the gas leak blast was equivalent to multiple tons of TNT exploding 1 1/2 year old fell of!

Cindy Rogers Obituary, Mobile Homes For Rent In Marshall, Mi, Articles K