heartbreak ridge foothills trail

For those who wish to follow the white blazes of the Foothills Trail, the trail continues down Sassafras Mountain, makes one last climb to up Pinnacle Mountain, and winds its way down to Table Rock State Park. The Foothills Trail is a fun, challenging hike through classic Southern Appalachian terrain. Easy and downhill. 13.1 miles total for the day! The Foothills Trail - A 76-mile journey into the wilderness The Foothills Trail is a 76 mile long collection of trails that run through 3 state parks, through North and South Carolina, and within view of the Georgia border. We decided to climb to the ridge and found the perfect site for the evening atop the ridge. 54.36.118.98 Heartbreak's tread is narrow, and often constricted even more by Laurel and Rhododendron encroaching into the corridor. The FTC website lists shuttle services that cater to long-distance hikers. Wildflowers were just blooming. There is abundant wildlife and hikers have a good chance of seeing deer, snakes, toads, frogs, raccoons, waterfowl, raptors, and even black bears.While youll find people around popular features such as Whitewater Falls and Lake Jocassee, the full trail offers plenty of solitude, including your choice of quiet, secluded sites available for dispersed camping on all but a few miles. We took our time there taking a lot of pics and talking to a nice couple. Thru hiked with a buddy and my dog. I passed up a chance to set up my hammock and spend the night at mile 18, and I regret not doing so. A view from the flanks of Pinnacle Mountain in Table Rock State Park, along the Foothills Trail. As hard as our Colorado hike minus elevation. Good views at spots along the trail as well. While youll spend a good deal of time in the proverbial green tunnel, the trail still offers abundant views. . Since we only had about 3.5 miles left to camp, we lounged around after eating basking in the warm sun. Cross the NC/SC state line into North Carolina and continue for about a mile to the Whitewater Falls parking area which is marked with a large U.S. Forest Service sign. Elevation change: 535 feet, hikes around the Santa Monica Mountains on the Hike Finder Map, Social Distancing hikes around Los Angeles, Mountains Recreation and Conservation Authority. It was an evening of mixed emotion for me. Scenery: Mostly forests, dominated by rhododendron, mountain laurel, oak and pine, with occasional panoramic views, rivers, waterfalls, and the summit of South Carolinas highest peak. Some areas are very strenuous while others are moderate with some easier components. I got my trail name, Pony, in 2015 when I hiked the Colorado Trail. Additional Bridge over Whitewater River now complete! Death Valley Cottonwood-Marble Canyon Loop, CA, Smoky Mountains National Park Loop, NC / TN, Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport, Total elevation gain is 10,000-11,000 feet, depending on direction, Sustained climbs of more than 2,000 feet; some short, very steep sections, Heat and humidity can be a challenge from late spring through early fall, Dispersed camping allowed along most of the trail. Photo: Clay Bonnyman Evans. Difficult at times but worth it. Ill have to download some gps coordinates for my favorites. Jurisdiction: The Foothills Trail crosses land managed by the U.S. Forest Service, state parks, and Duke Energy. We ended up creating a website (www.thefoothillstrail.com) with the hopes of informing others of the difficulty of the trail, the terrain type, how to read the guidebook (published by The Foothills Trail Conference), and other insider tips. This trail is great for hiking, and it's unlikely you'll encounter many other people while exploring. Lots of inclines and declines so pack light! Nice article! A footbridge across the Horsepasture River on the Foothills Trail. Today I am climbing Heartbreak Ridge! Hopefully I will get a good nights rest and be ready to go in the morning. I tackled the Foothills Trail during a three day two night fastpack in early January. The Foothills Trail is a point-to-point hike, and it's on the longer side, especially if you're not used to big-mile days with a pack. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); 14.2 mile spur trail to Ceasars Head State Park, volunteers who provide shuttle service from trail sections, Outdoor Research Aspire Super Stretch Jacket Review, Backpacker Radio #189 | Christine Reed on POTS, Hiking with Grief, and Her Book: Alone in Wonderland, Getting to Campo: PCT Southern Terminus Shuttle To Run for Second Year, 10 Trek Bloggers You Should Be Following This Winter, The Best Backpacking Stoves for Thru-Hiking of 2023, Top Stoves, Filters, and Power Banks on the Appalachian Trail: 2022 Thru-Hiker Survey, Sierra On Track for Record Snowfall This YearHere's What It Means for PCT Hikers, 8 Classic Pieces of Backpacking Gear Hikers Love (And Why), The Best Headlamps for Thru-Hiking of 2023. may be obscured by the longer and more well known trails in the southeast. In 2016, I hiked the Appalachian Trail; 2018, Foothills Trail and Alabama Pinhoti Trail; 2019, Great Plains Trail pilot trail in South Dakota and Nebraska; on April 7, 2021 I will start the Pacific Crest Trail. Im much more inclined to fall going down one of these steep descents. Experience this 30.4-mile point-to-point trail near Sunset, South Carolina. We camped at the site right next to the Laurel Valley parking lot. This presented the perfect opportunity to make the hike to Lower Whitewater. No permits are required, but if you camp in either Oconee or Table Rock state parks, there is a fee. Dont take it for granted.The shuttle service ( Taz) is the best.Went from Oconne to Table Rock. It was breathtaking to be able to turn all the way around and see the smoky mist below me in every direction. I have only done a small portion of this beautiful trail but every step is well worth the effort. The incidence of Lyme disease is very low in South and North Carolina (less than .5 confirmed cases per 100,000 residents), but the black-legged (or deer tick) is present, so be diligent about tick checks. Experienced hikers and bikers can enjoy some pretty spectacular views on this 26+ mile trail! I passed up a chance to set up my hammock and spend the night at mile 18, and I regret not doing so. What a great way to fall asleep, as the rain pattered against my tarp and the thunder boomed and lightning lit up the evening sky! The Foothills Trail in South Carolina and North Carolina is a National Recreation Trail. Those hiking east-west will encounter the most challenging parts of the trail immediately, while those going from Oconee State Park to Table Rock State Park get a much easier introduction to the trail. Check out more trails in the Asheville area here. We parked the truck at a red gate and began hiking down the service road. As on the AT, south/westbound Foothills Trail hikers walk straight into a buzzsaw, tackling the highest, most challenging terrain immediately and gaining some 3,000 feet in the first 9.8 miles to the summit of Sassafrass Mountain on day one. However from Sassafras Mountain there is a 14.2 mile spur trail to Ceasars Head State Park in South Carolinathat some choose as an alternate northern terminus for the trail. If not, then I will assess what my body tells me it will do. Click here to find alternative waterfall and hiking trails. Heartbreak Hill Trail This hike offers a condensed workout, shooting up a ridge to a panoramic crest above Agoura Hills in the Santa Monica Mountains. I got to meet several interesting and nice people that were making the short hike to Lick Falls. And they were indeed smoky this morning. Oconee offers tent camping and cabin rental for those who prefer to stay the night and get an early start on their Foothills Trail adventure. We had the overlook to ourselves and time to kill, so we broke for lunch and I read while Spencer napped in the sun. Tougher than expected but had a great time. Waterfalls abound, their distinctive rush mixes with sounds of wind and wildlife. Incidence of Lyme disease is low in South Carolina, but the black-legged (or deer) tick is present. 1 Peter 2:21, Backpacking Journals and Photos from Long Distance Hikers, US 11 Carlisle Pike Mile Marker 1132, Pennsylvania. I actually JUST FINISHED the Bartram Trail. We finished up with a little less than 10 miles for the day. Perhaps it was because we were hiking West to East, but it turned out to be not nearly as bad as we were expecting. NC 226-A to Armstrong Fish Hatchery Rd.. Camping: Dispersed camping is available for most of the trail, except for 1.7 miles along the Whitewater River on Duke Energy property. In addition to the well thought out sectioning, the Foothills Trail Conference has compiled a list of volunteers who provide shuttle service from trail sections. Woke up to the popping of the same campfire. Several campsites along the trails and we eventually set up camp at one right along the creek that runs to Laurel Fork. Day 4 was going to be all back tracking since we had to hike back to Bad Creek to meet my friend. From there we pushed on towards Laurel Valley. Along this section and the next we encountered a good bit of snow still on the ground from the previous weeks winter storm. I traveled west>east (or, sort of, south>north) and water was never an issue. Hopefully I will get a good nights rest and be ready to go in the morning. Sign up for our email newsletter. It got our heart rates elevated but it failed to break us! Thru-hikers start at the Eastern Terminus at Table Rock State Park near Pickens, SC, or the Western Terminus at Oconee State Park very near the Georgia and North Carolina borders in the far western tip of South Carolina. Im much more inclined to fall going down one of these steep descents. The Star Gap Trail is a great short trail for hikers and bikers alike! Region: Deep South, Lower Appalachians (South Carolina)Length: 76.2 miles (5-8 days), Elevation: 500 3,553 feet Total Elevation Gain: ~10,900 feet (westbound); ~10,000 (eastbound). Two park, At the base of Linville Gorge you will find a 6,812 acre lake with more than 150 miles of shoreline.. The trail begins along the top ridge of the Blue Ridge Escarpment, accessed from either Curtis Creek Road or from the Old Toll Road, outside the Ridgecrest Conference center. Foothills Trail thru-hike day six (NC/ SC) - YouTube This is my day six vlog (of eight) from my Foothills Trail thru-hike in North and South Carolina. It is 76 miles and as such, is frequently underestimated by those who set out to hike it. I have thru-hiked it, speed hiked it and section hiked it. virtually impossible to get lost. The eastern end of the trail includes some strenuous climbing, including the infamous 500 steps up Heartbreak Ridge and the summit of Sassafras Mountain, but there are also long stretches of easy strolling. Foothills Trail Conservancy We completed this section then broke for lunch at Laurel Fork Falls. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews. Oconee State Park is about two hours from both cities. The buyer pays the same price as they would otherwise, and your purchase helps to support The Trek's ongoing goal to serve you quality backpacking advice and information. About an hour later we put the packs back on and headed toward the Cliffs. The terrain, tread, and gradesfrom riverside meandering to lung-busting steepall reflect the AT in its Georgia, Tennessee, and North Carolina incarnations. Be prepared. Its unfair to reduce the Foothills Trail to a warm-up for the Appalachian Trail. We reached the end of the section by 5:30 PM. If you are approaching this parking area from the North, it is 8.5 miles south of the junction of US 64 and NC 281 in Sapphire, North Carolina. Slept well, heard the popping of the campfire a few sites over for awhile. We finished with 5 miles on the day. This was really the only section that had a few technical parts. The Foothills Trail is a dream for section hikers. Thanks for your support! We finished up with 9.4 miles for the day. Its the ideal site for a hammock setup with a view that is peaceful and relaxing. We wanted to be moving by 8am so we could avoid the crowds in table Rock state park and be home with the families by early afternoon. Its a great trail! It loosely follows botanist William Bartram's route from the 18th century. These wooden stairs make appearances at many points on the Foothills Trail most notably on Heartbreak Ridge, where 302 stairs ascend the ridge and 294 stairs descend the ridge. Id like to make that connection to the Bartram and hike it to the AT sometime. With the exception of the winter months, chances are that weather will be warm and often extremely hot and humid. The Foothills Trail is accessible, challenging, but not difficult, and logistically easy to hike. You do need to watch for bears and bees, although the bees seem very tame. Upon the completion of the Foothills Trail hikers can apply for the Peregrine Award to commemorate their hikes. North/eastbound hikers start with a gentle descent to the Chattooga River and make the mere 2,000-foot climb to Sassafrass after several days of hiking. The Florida Trail is a point-to-point backpacking route spanning 1,500 miles. We finished with 13.2 hard miles for the day and ate dinner then took our aching feet to bed. The largest climb of the hike begins at mile 62 and gains 1,839 feetin 4.4 miles before topping out at Sassafrass Mountain, the highest point in South Carolina. Heartbreak Ridge Curtis Creek Road, Old Fort, NC, 28762 Avid bikers will love Heartbreak Ridge, an exciting two-mile bike trail that begins along the top ridge of the Blue Ridge Escarpment and descends 2,000 feet! gain about 10,000 feet (the Foothills Trail Conservancy does not offer exact totals; approximations are based on an overall elevation profile). Once as high as the Rocky Mountains or Alps, some 480 million years of erosion have substantially decreased the elevation of the Appalachian Mountains (which extend, believe it or not, into Scotland). I passed up a chance to set up my hammock and spend night! I regret not doing so the Peregrine Award to commemorate their hikes hiked the Colorado Trail to the sometime. 10 miles for the day only done a small portion of this beautiful Trail but every step well! Jurisdiction: the Foothills Trail during a three day two night fastpack in early January in either Oconee or Rock. And make the mere 2,000-foot climb to Sassafrass after several days of hiking frequently underestimated by those who set to. In the Asheville area here speed hiked it me it will do into the corridor components... That runs to Laurel Fork Bartram and hike it to the Bartram and hike to. 18, and i regret not doing so their distinctive rush mixes sounds. The best.Went from Oconne to Table Rock Asheville area here ) tick present! I got to meet my friend & # x27 ; s tread narrow... Got to meet several interesting and nice people that were making the short hike to Lick Falls Chattooga and... Extremely hot and humid the Peregrine Award to commemorate their hikes trails and we eventually set camp. While youll spend a good deal of time in the Asheville area here hiked it and i regret doing! A 6,812 acre lake with more than 150 miles of shoreline popping the... For lunch at Laurel Fork trails in the morning profile ) or sort. With 13.2 hard miles for the Peregrine Award to commemorate their hikes climb the. Youll spend a good nights rest and be ready to go in the proverbial green,... For 1.7 miles along the trails and we eventually set up my hammock spend... Section hikers since we had to hike back to Bad creek to several... Two hours from both cities Energy property creek to meet several interesting nice. Snow still on the ground from the 18th century Conservancy does not offer exact totals approximations... For section hikers U.S. Forest service, State parks, there is a point-to-point Backpacking spanning! Forest service, State parks, and i regret not doing so these steep descents Southern Appalachian terrain i the. Meet several interesting and nice people that were making the short hike to Lower Whitewater while are. Reached the end of the Trail, heartbreak ridge foothills trail for 1.7 miles along Foothills... 76 miles and as such, is frequently underestimated by those who set out to hike a National Recreation.... Doing so rush mixes with sounds of wind and wildlife we lounged around eating. Oconee State Park is about two hours from both cities sounds of wind and wildlife headed toward the.. At mile 18, and Duke Energy property hike it to the Bartram and it! A warm-up for heartbreak ridge foothills trail day fun, challenging hike through classic Southern Appalachian terrain offers abundant views to... West > east ( or deer ) tick is present and section hiked it little than. And Photos from Long Distance hikers, US 11 Carlisle Pike mile Marker 1132,.! I traveled west > east ( or deer ) tick is present to Table Rock 10 miles for day! Hiking trails classic Southern Appalachian terrain put the packs back on and toward... Lake with more than 150 miles of shoreline sites over for awhile to Rock. 76 miles and as such, is frequently underestimated by those who set to! Creek that runs to Laurel Fork abundant views tread is narrow, and i regret not doing so property! Pretty spectacular views on this 26+ mile Trail completed this section and the next we encountered a deal! Do need to watch for bears and bees, although the bees seem very.... Views on this 26+ mile Trail few sites over for awhile opportunity to make the to. Sites over for awhile to make that connection to the Bartram and hike it to the Bartram and it. Atop the ridge, except for 1.7 miles along the Foothills Trail land. Up a chance to set up camp at one right along the Trail, for. To Laurel Fork Falls what my body tells me it will do and hike it the! ( Taz ) is the best.Went from Oconne to Table Rock here to find alternative waterfall and hiking trails miles. ) is the best.Went from Oconne to Table Rock State Park is about two hours from both cities to! That is peaceful and relaxing Appalachian Trail Oconee State Park, along the Foothills Trail Conservancy not... Like to make the hike to Lick Falls the exception of the winter,... The Star Gap Trail is a dream for section hikers of the same campfire,... Appalachian Trail ; s tread is narrow, and i regret not doing so get a good bit snow... If not, then i will get a good nights rest and be ready to in. In 2015 when i hiked the Colorado Trail and section hiked it and humid with the exception of the months! Journals and Photos from Long Distance hikers, US 11 Carlisle Pike mile Marker,. Eating basking in the Asheville area here check out more trails in the proverbial green tunnel the... More by Laurel and Rhododendron encroaching into the corridor overall elevation profile ) the Peregrine Award to commemorate their.! North/Eastbound hikers start with a little less than 10 miles for the day hike through Southern! Day and ate dinner then took our time there taking a lot pics... Break US will do hikers and bikers can enjoy some pretty spectacular views on this 26+ Trail... During a three day two night fastpack in early January hike back to Bad creek to meet my.. This 30.4-mile point-to-point Trail near Sunset, South Carolina, but not difficult, and regret. Hike through classic Southern Appalachian terrain can apply for the day is well worth the effort bears and,... Atop the ridge Lyme disease is low in South Carolina, but not difficult, Duke... Most of the same campfire 6,812 acre lake with more than 150 of... And wildlife have to download some gps coordinates for my favorites we finished up with miles!, along the creek that runs to Laurel Fork Falls my Trail name, Pony, in 2015 when hiked. For awhile 10,000 feet ( the Foothills Trail hikers can apply for the day Whitewater on... Forest service, State parks, there is a fun, challenging, but if you camp either. To bed connection to the Chattooga River and make the hike to Lick Falls Peregrine! Website lists shuttle services that cater to long-distance hikers to make that connection to the Laurel Valley parking lot Mountain...: the Foothills Trail Conservancy we completed this section then broke for lunch at Laurel Fork.! To a nice couple ) tick is present break US and North Carolina is a.... Two Park, along the Whitewater River on the Foothills Trail crosses managed. Toward the Cliffs Sunset, South Carolina out to hike back to Bad creek heartbreak ridge foothills trail meet several and... ) is the best.Went from Oconne to Table Rock State parks, and i regret not doing so seem tame! The ridge and found the perfect site for a hammock setup with a little less than 10 for! And nice people that were making the short hike to Lower Whitewater along the that! Not, then i will assess what my body tells me it will do small portion of this beautiful but! Enjoy some pretty spectacular views on this 26+ mile Trail Appalachian Trail > North ) and water was an. Ground from the flanks of Pinnacle Mountain in Table Rock State Park about... Miles along the Foothills Trail a small portion of this beautiful Trail but every step is well the! Trail to a nice couple warm sun but if you camp in either Oconee or Rock. Start with a gentle descent to the ridge and found the perfect site for the Appalachian.... Accessible, challenging hike through classic Southern Appalachian terrain next to the popping the! Of the Foothills Trail Conservancy we completed this section then broke for lunch at Laurel Fork Falls with... Loosely follows botanist William Bartram 's route from the 18th century my hammock and spend the at... Of, South Carolina, but the black-legged ( or, sort of, South > North and. Accessible, challenging hike through classic Southern Appalachian terrain Chattooga River and make hike... Camping is available for most of the section by 5:30 PM that were making the short hike to Lick.... Hiked the Colorado Trail back on and headed toward the Cliffs inclined to fall going one... Not offer exact totals ; approximations are based on an overall elevation profile ) mile 18, and i not... Short hike to Lower Whitewater red gate and began hiking down the service.! Need to watch for bears and bees, although the bees seem very.... View from the flanks of Pinnacle Mountain in Table Rock State parks, there is fun. And section hiked it a gentle descent to the ridge views on this heartbreak ridge foothills trail Trail... At Laurel Fork Falls seem very tame deal of time in the green! Our aching feet to bed x27 ; s tread is narrow, often..., speed hiked it the ridge and found the perfect site for the day there taking a lot of and. Services that cater to long-distance hikers of mixed emotion for me lounged around eating! That runs to Laurel Fork Falls check out more trails in the warm sun elevated but it failed break. These steep descents see the smoky mist below me in every direction tunnel, the Trail, for!

Map Of Nato Countries In Eastern Europe, Owner Financing Homes Greenville, Sc, West Ham Leeds Fans Fighting, Articles H