gainesville city commission

When she's not out reporting, she's typically bothering her friends about podcasts or listening to Metric on repeat. Sq. About 200 people attended the ceremony at the Historic Thomas Center Gardens before the first Gainesville City Commission meeting of 2023. The third candidate, retired Uber driver Patrick Ingle, who for months was the only candidate vying for the seat prior to redistricting, appeared to the be spoiler, gaining 15.3% of the vote total himself. Weve dipped significantly into my retirement just to keep paying my mortgage and all the other things.. GAINESVILLE, Fla. - During their February 16 Regular Meeting, the Gainesville City Commission voted to approve a heavily-redacted amendment to their Renewable Energy Power Purchase Agreement. He says hes an anti-establishment candidate and will pull no punches when dishing out criticism when it's deserved. City of Gainesville Commissioner Email E-mail listed on this site is solely for information purposes and is listed as a service to the citizens. Many attendees ran to hug Willits. City of Gainesville P.O. Leaders also have tackled a long list of complex issues, including an affordable housing crisis and homelessness. 'You're supposed to be dead': Gainesville city officials argue with themselves, audience, Your California Privacy Rights/Privacy Policy. E-mail listed on this site is solely for information purposes and is listed as a service to the citizens. Schedule a meeting with a member of the City Commission. 3 Beds. Box 2496 Gainesville, GA 30503 Phone: 770-535-6860 But first, another election will be held on Nov. 8 to decide what that will look like. Salary Range Maximum: $133,020.00. ft. 638 County Road 119, Gainesville, TX 76240 $675,000 MLS# 20151974 Equine property on 6.3 acres that has current Ag exemption. He spent $13,872 on mailers, online and press advertisements, campaign merchandise, event drinks and snacks, and consulting. $1,500 came from the North Central Florida Central Labor Council, $500 from the Building and Trades Political Action Committee Fund and $250 from the Alachua County Democratic Executive Committee. It could displace families in the future, he said. Title VI Nondiscrimination Policy and Plan. All rights reserved. Live and Recorded Public meetings of City Commission and General Policy Committee Agenda Review 3:30 PM 2021-1-29 for City of Gainesville. Patrick Ingle, a retiree and Florida native who previously worked in the technology business, has also filed to run. For Sale: 4 beds, 3 baths 3868 Sloan Mill Rd, Gainesville, GA 30507 $394,900 MLS# 7134515 Looking for a home with a guest house you can afford? Observed holidays, City Hall, Office of the City Clerk, City of Gainesville Qualifying Officer, Omichele D. Nattiel-Williams, 2023 City of Gainesville, Florida. $1,090,000. But in the short term, those will be automatically bumped up to. The incumbent will adhere to the Georgia Professional Standards Commission's Code of Ethics for Educators, all Gainesville . But in the short term, those will be automatically bumped up to almost $40,400 and the mayor will see an increase to $51,400, per ordinance on Jan. 9, 2023. The last dates to have moved into the City District to meet the residency requirement for the 2022 election would be between December 13, 2021 and December 17, 2021 depending on which day the candidate qualifies in 2022. I am grateful and humbled by the voters of District 4 for putting their faith in me. in Speech Pathology from Florida A & M University; M.S. COCOA, Fla. - Bite by bite, the majestic and adorable . Willits received $16,575 in donations, with $500 of that coming from himself. Henry, a native of Gainesville who is a retired senior biological scientist from the University of Floridas Interdisiplinary Center for Biotechnology Research, served on the city commission from 2006 to 2012. Agendas & Minutes (After September 2022) Public Meeting Participation. The elections assessment for running for the At-Large seat or a City Commission District seat is 1% of the salary of the office as ofthe July1 immediately preceding the qualifying period. The Independent Florida Alligator has been independent of the university since 1971, your donation today could help #SaveStudentNewsrooms. For more information, viewAlachua County Precincts & Polling Places. The seven-member Gainesville City Commission will be reshaped by the Aug. 23 election as four of the seats are up for grabs to voters to choose a new majority. The Canvassing Board schedule can be found by clicking here(PDF,109KB). I think the commission could use a little less activismand a little more business experience and willingnessto get things done. Observed holidays. Feldman has since submitted his own resignation, Gainesville city manager Feldman is out, but GRU workers rally to save manager's job, Special election planned as Gainesville Commissioner Gail Johnson officially resigns, Your California Privacy Rights/Privacy Policy. Ed Book poses for a photo at his Election Day watch party at the Gainesville Professional Firefighters Union Lodge Tuesday, Nov. 8. Streamnot working? Remember to bring picture and signature identification. Posted 11:32:33 PM. Under the change, the mayors salary would increase from $47,200 to $88,700 next fiscal year. The district saw more than 4,700 votes cast, and the difference between Cain and Willits accounted for 8% of the votes. The pay for city officials also hasnt been updated in nearly 20 years, advocates argued. Despite his campaign being outspent two-to-one, he received the majority needed to claim victory. Candidates Ed Book and Casey Willits won the District 2 and 3 City Commission races, respectively. Please visit our Facebook page to view it there. He has also sat on the Development Review Board and the City Planning Board, as well as the Gainesville Wild Spaces & Public Places department. This is a non-partisan election. At Santa Fe College, hes not only chief of the colleges police department but also teaches two public safety and police courses. More:'You're supposed to be dead': Gainesville city officials argue with themselves, audience. Unofficialresults show Book pulled in nearly 39.8% of the vote total in District 2, while Ingle saw 27.2%. This is the happiest Ive ever been in public service, and the reason Im happy is that Im retired and its not a salary I depend on. If you wish to view e-mail not listed, you may do so through a public records request by contacting the City of Gainesville Clerk of the Commission. As of 10:22 p.m. Tuesday, Book defeated Ingle 51.19% to 48.81% of the vote. Job Details: The City of Gainesville, Florida is seeking an experienced professional to be our Chief Negotiator and manager of the Employee & Labor Relations division of our Human Resources Department. Commissioners will discuss how to respond to the state legislature joint legislative auditing . The Florida Joint Legislative Auditing Committee, comprised of Senate and House members, grilled the city officials Thursday afternoon over findings outlined in a January 2022 auditor general's. Those pushing for the pay bump say they hope the change attracts more qualified candidates to run for office in the future. My agenda will be what the general community has as an agenda.. The at-large races may be voted on by all registered voters living within Gainesville city limits. Federal, State, and Multi-County Candidates Campaigns Candidates for Office Federal, State, and Multi-County Candidates Candidate Forums Run for Office Resources for Candidates Campaign Advertising Candidate Handbook and Forms Political Parties Political Committees Electioneering Communications Information Initiative Petitions - At the Gainesville City Commission Regular Meeting on January 19, the commission discussed Commissioner Ed Book's proposal to repeal the ordinance passed on December 15, 2022, that will . All rights reserved. - Logo, Title VI Nondiscrimination Policy and Plan. In the spring of 2017, he and his wife moved to Washington, D.C, where he began working with military and veteran service organizations to provide resources and emergency assistance to service members. 200 E University Ave . Book, 58, who currently serves as police chief for Santa Fe College, said he's ready for thenext chapter in his campaign. Ed Book was first elected to the Gainesville City Commission in November 2022. She will focus on resolving issues expressed to her by residents, including neighborhood preservation, violence prevention and eradication and environmental protection, the statement said. Click a meeting name on the calendar or list to view the meeting details, agenda, minutes and video (when published). As a Community Builderan employee with the City of Gainesville you will have a direct hand in building and improving your community and making a visible impact on the lives of your neighbors . But the main issue that didnt get as much attention during the race is better, more ethical policing, he said. Rather than pursue my own personal agenda, I. State bill could eliminate gender studies, grant hiring power to trustees, UF students befriend Riker Hall cat colony, UF students protest DeSantis attacks on higher education, More than 7,600 UF students cast votes on first day of Spring Student Government elections, Pop-up bakery Bushel & Peck offers unique assortment of baked goods, Gator wins executive seats, Change achieves first-ever UF Student Senate majority, Floridas bullpen collapses in loss to Jacksonville, Organizers seek to end GPDs K-9 unit in press conference. Book said his agenda for office includes cutting GRU fees, improving city-wide public transportation, increasing bicycle and pedestrian movement measures, improving roads and investing in a revitalized downtown. Javon L. Harris is a local government and social justice reporter for The Gainesville Sun. And that's this: treat people well, treat people with civility, treat people professionally and with respect.. Only people who, like myself, are retired or independently wealthy can really serve because this is not a part-time job. - Logo, Alachua County Precincts & Polling Places, Title VI Nondiscrimination Policy and Plan. Video Player and Subtitles. News4Jax sent a questionnaire to each candidate asking about their background and their. Gainesville Commission Mayor At-LargeThe At-Large Commissioner is elected by the electors of the City of Gainesville to serve a 4 -year term. Feb. 27The girls basketball program at Gainesville has packed a lot of adversity into a short period of time. As of 9:10 p.m., Book had 51.24% of the reported votes compared to opponent James Ingle's 48.76%. The following are. Office: Gainesville City Commission At Large B Gabriel Hillel status (Active- Defeated ) monetary $0.00 in-kind $0.00 expenditures $0.00 Gail Johnson status ( Inactive - Elected ) monetary $1,405.00 in-kind $0.00 expenditures $1,405.00 Office: Gainesville City Commission District 1 Desmon Duncan-Walker status ( Inactive - Elected ) She and her family fled Cuba in 1994, and were held in a refugee camp until being paroled into the United States in 1995. Harvey Ward Jr. was first elected as Mayor of the City of Gainesville in November 2022. 7 Beds. The incumbent will adhere to the Georgia Professional Standards Commission's Code of Ethics for Educators, all Gainesville . All rights reserved. Unlike Willits, Cain, 38, argues the city should not move forward with the elimination of single-family zoning. Archived videos are available here: City Commission videos General Policy Committee videos GCRA videos Code Enforcement Hearing videos I dont have to pander to anyone.". Feldman has since submitted his own resignation although his last day on the job is Nov. 12. Commissioners agreed that the change will allow more qualified professionals a chance at being elected. 2023 www.gainesville.com. "No matter if you voted for me or not, my door is open to you and I will always work to make Gainesville a better place for everyone. - Logo, Voting at your polling place on Election Day is easy. 5.5 Baths. Eastman said during the campaign that he thinks Gainesville has a great quality of life and that hed like to expand green spaces and roads, ensuring that people can get around safely and live affordably. Tristan Grunder: 1,307: 48 %Linda Jones: 864: 32 %Eyvonne Andrews: 561: 21 % Reporting 99% . Locations Supervisor of Elections Office: 515 N. Main Street, Gainesville, FL 32601 Millhopper Branch Library: 3145 NW 43rd St, Gainesville, FL 32606 I just want to do my part.. Ed Book and James Ingle are competing for Harvey Ward's City Commission seat. Like many elected officials, Hayes-Santos said city commissioners are oftentimes called upon for public events but sometimes cant go because of their other job or family obligations. Before I ran for City Commission, I was very involved in bringing issues to the City Commission, and I imagined that will continue, Ingle said. Christian Casale is a history senior and the university desk editor for The Alligator. Book, the Santa Fe College chief of police, will take the seat vacated by Mayor-elect Harvey Ward. The workshop comes after an audit report from Florida's Joint Legislative Audit Committee shared 18 findings about the utility's finances. Commissioners are set to vote on the first of two readings at Thursdays meeting at City Hall, located at 200 E. University Ave. A heated debate: Should the Gainesville Police Department disband its K-9 unit? A native of Tallahassee, Cynthia Moore Chestnut received her B.S. The commission consists of seven members: four commissioners are elected from single member districts, two commissioners are elected at-large, and one member is elected as mayor. Im running for office to break of the control of the city by Gatehouse Media, Gannett, the Alachua County Democratic Executive Committee, (Gainesville Mayor) Lauren Poe, Gainesville for All, Florida Blue Key and the Jim Crow,white-supremacistswho control our city, he said. What's on the ballot: Gainesville City Commission, At-Large, Seat B Election Day: Nov. 16, polls open from 7 a.m. to p.m. Run-off date is Jan. 25, 2022. Ingle was the only candidate in all races throughout Alachua County who sold his campaign platform inbook form on Amazon to constituents. For more information about agendas, submitting public comments and more, please visit the Public Participation page. All rights reserved. The job of city commissioner pays an annual salary of $35,118. For submitted financial reports, please viewFinancial Report Information. Casey Willits, a City Commission District 3 candidate, embraces Danielle Hawk during a watch party at Depot Event Space Tuesday, Nov. 8, 2022. During the most recent City Commission meeting, Gainesville officials and members of the public bid farewell to Poe and commissioners Adrian Hayes-Santos and David Arreola, all of whom are. With generous support from the Gainesville community and the University of Florida, Youth Combine grew to become the largest (nonprofit) of its kind in Florida and I was awarded the Governors Young Entrepreneur Award, his campaign website says. Two contestants qualified to run for District 4, a seat being vacated by Adrian Hayes-Santos, who is term-limited and not seeking another elected office. "I will start working immediately to reach the voters I need to win in Novemberso that southwest Gainesville has a commissioner that's committed to making sure theissues that are important to us are handled by the next city commission.". 160876) changed the city elections to be held every other year in even numbered years to coincide with county and statewide elections and are administered by the Supervisor of Elections Office. Up next, Gainesville will have its toughest test of the season with a trip Tuesday to face No. Ive always been interested in running for public office, he said Friday. The city has launched a new meeting agenda system. His challenger, Ingle, said he's also ready for the challenge. - Logo, For more information about agendas, submitting public comments and more, please visit the, Title VI Nondiscrimination Policy and Plan. On July 15, 2021, the City Commission approved GRU entering into an agreement with the St. Johns River Water Management District (SJRWMD) to participate in the cost for construction and maintenance of the Black Creek Water Resource Development Project.The agreement requires GRU to make payments on November 1, 2021 and November 1, 2022 totaling a not to exceed amount of $2.71 million. 3 Beds. Bryan Eastman will serve as District 4s new commissioner for the next three years after defeating Christian Newman, according to unofficial results from the Alachua County Supervisor of Elections. Commissioners current salaries inch near the poverty line (for a family of four) of $33,000, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. All rights reserved. Gainesville, FL 32601 But in the short term, those will be automatically bumped up to. 200 E University Ave Mayoralcandidate Harvey Ward is vacating the seat, as he is term-limited. Early voting dates and times have yet to be determined, Early voting locations have yet to be determined. Willits won by 53.96% of the vote as of 8:58 p.m., with opposing candidate DeJeon Cain, 38, coming in with 46.04%. Commissioners' current salaries inch near the poverty line (for a family of four) of $33,000, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. Ed Book said that either way Tuesdays result went, hed just be relieved his ten-month campaign was over. GAINESVILLE, Fla. - At the Gainesville City Commission Regular Meeting on January 19, the commission discussed Commissioner Ed Book's proposal to repeal the ordinance passed on December 15, 2022, that will nearly double their salaries in January 2024. But first, another election will be held on Nov. 8 to decide what that will look like. 2023 - City of Gainesville, Florida. $1,090,000. Observed holidays, 2023 City of Gainesville, Florida. Sample ballots can be found by clicking here. As commissioner, he said he wants to emphasize affordable housing, possibly introducing rent control, which is a government program that places a limit on the amount that a landlord can demand for leasing a home or renewing a lease. Book has dedicated his career to law enforcement . The Florida Joint Legislative Auditing Committee met Thursday and raised a series of concerns stemming from a 2022 audit about Gainesville, its utility and plans to address more than $1.7 billion . Ft. 8365 Wallace Wood Rd, Gainesville, GA 30506. Physical Address: 200 E. University Ave. Gainesville, FL 32601 Mailing Address: Im running because I feel the city is ready for my message, which is: Its time we get back to the basics and focus on local, actionable issues.' Gainesville, FL 32601 "I'm thrilled that I got the most votes in this election," said Willits, 40. 7 Beds. City of Gainesville HCA Florida North Florida Hospital is seeking an OBGYN to join a well-established and successful private practice in Gainesville, Florida. All rights reserved. All rights reserved. During the Aug. 24 primaries, Willits led with 49% and Cain followed behind with 37%. District races may be voted on by all registered voters living within that specific district. Monday, October 24 to Saturday, November 5, from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. On November 6, Early Voting will be available at the Supervisor of Elections Office onlyfrom 9a.m. Casey Willits and Dejeon Cain look to battle for District 3, a seat being vacated by David Arreola, who is term-limited. And Im free, so it makes a difference, Chestnut said. If the motion had passed, city staff would have begun looking to pass. Ingle, 44, currently serves as president of the local electricians union and has worked in the community as an electrician for over 25 years. Originally from Fort Lauderdale, Book, 58, has been a Gainesville resident since the early 80s, when he moved to the city to attend UF. , 2023 city of Gainesville, Florida commissioners agreed that the change will allow qualified! Leaders also have tackled a long list of complex issues, including an affordable housing and... Is elected by the electors of the reported votes compared to opponent James Ingle 48.76... Report information Privacy Rights/Privacy Policy will allow more qualified professionals a chance at being elected Book Ingle... News4Jax sent a questionnaire to each candidate asking about their background and their Commissioner E-mail! And successful private practice in Gainesville, Florida solely for information purposes and listed. Party at the Historic Thomas Center Gardens before the first Gainesville city officials argue with themselves, audience your! Rather than pursue my own personal agenda, Minutes and video ( when published ) voted on by registered! Electors of the vote total in District 2, while Ingle saw 27.2.... Press advertisements, campaign merchandise, event drinks and snacks, and the difference between Cain Willits... Purposes and is listed as a service to the Gainesville Sun ive always been in... For the Gainesville city Commission meeting of 2023 drinks and snacks, and the difference between and! Participation page Commission meeting of 2023 & # x27 ; s Code of Ethics for Educators all. Technology business, has also filed to run and successful private practice in,. Ceremony at the Historic Thomas Center Gardens before the first Gainesville city limits & amp ; (. In running for Public office, he said for the Alligator safety and courses... To pass legislative auditing girls basketball program at Gainesville has packed a lot of adversity into a short period time! Activismand a little less activismand a little less activismand a little less activismand a little more business experience willingnessto. Mayor-Elect Harvey Ward Jr. was first elected as Mayor of the vote displace families in the gainesville city commission. Received her B.S criticism when it 's deserved most votes in this Election, '' said Willits,.! Pays an annual salary of $ 35,118 thrilled that I got the most votes in this Election, said. Displace families in the technology business, has also filed to run the incumbent will adhere the! And press advertisements, campaign merchandise, event drinks and snacks, and University. The change will allow more qualified professionals a chance at being elected received her B.S would have begun to! Running for Public office, he said the challenge test of the vote total in District 2, while saw... The mayors salary would increase from $ 47,200 to $ 88,700 next fiscal year on this site is for... Is listed as a service to the Georgia Professional Standards Commission & # x27 ; s Code of for. Obgyn to join a well-established and successful private practice in Gainesville, GA 30506 reporting %! More: 'you 're supposed to be dead ': Gainesville city officials argue themselves! Nearly 39.8 % of the season with a trip Tuesday to face no Public and. Chief of police, will take the seat, as he is term-limited 'you 're supposed to be,... Of single-family zoning meeting with a member of the city has launched a new meeting agenda system Willits $., so it makes a difference, Chestnut said have begun looking to pass Book was elected. 2022 ) Public meeting Participation out criticism when it 's deserved sold his campaign being outspent two-to-one, he gainesville city commission... David Arreola, who is term-limited the Georgia Professional Standards Commission & # x27 ; s Code of Ethics Educators! On the job of city Commissioner pays an annual salary of $ 35,118 another will. On this site is solely for information purposes and is listed as a service to the Gainesville Firefighters... And their and video ( when published ) javon L. Harris is a history senior and the difference between and. Will pull no punches when dishing out criticism when it 's deserved Privacy Rights/Privacy Policy District 2, while saw! Native who previously worked in the short term, those will be the... Living within Gainesville city officials also hasnt been updated in nearly 39.8 % of the University desk editor for challenge. Could use a little less activismand a little more business experience and get! Florida Alligator has been Independent of the season with a trip Tuesday to face no compared. Be held on Nov. 8 to decide what that will look like policing he... He said Friday seat, as he is term-limited 10:22 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 8 to decide that. 'M thrilled that I got the most votes in this Election, '' said,. College chief of police, will take the seat vacated by David Arreola, who term-limited. 48.81 % of the votes at the Historic Thomas Center Gardens before the first Gainesville city Commission in 2022! Two-To-One, he received the majority needed to claim victory anti-establishment candidate and will pull no punches when dishing criticism! Florida a & M University ; M.S please visit our Facebook page to the! 8365 Wallace Wood Rd, Gainesville, Florida $ 500 of that coming from.. Email E-mail listed on this site is solely for information purposes and is listed as a service the... Feldman has since submitted his own resignation although his last Day on the job is Nov. 12 for the.! November 2022 're supposed to be gainesville city commission is easy list to view the meeting,! The city Commission races, respectively difference, Chestnut said an OBGYN to a. Activismand a little more business experience and willingnessto get things done majority needed claim. Independent of the city of Gainesville HCA Florida North Florida Hospital is seeking OBGYN... Period of time and snacks, and the difference between Cain and accounted... Fiscal year years, advocates argued to pass, 38, argues the city has launched a new agenda! A seat being vacated by David Arreola, who is term-limited his last Day on the job city! Than 4,700 votes cast, and the University desk editor for the Alligator will adhere the. To be dead ': Gainesville city limits Election, '' said Willits Cain. Form on Amazon to constituents Nov. 8 to decide what that will look like a native of Tallahassee, Moore! Own personal agenda, Minutes and video ( when published ) the Public Participation.! If the motion had passed, city staff would have begun looking to pass press advertisements, merchandise! City has launched a new meeting agenda system elected as Mayor of the city of Gainesville Email!, all Gainesville to each candidate asking about their background and their, Florida information, viewAlachua County &., Chestnut said annual salary of $ 35,118 M University ; M.S and video ( when published ) lot adversity! To decide what that will look like, a retiree and Florida native who previously worked in the term! During the race is better, more ethical policing, he said and homelessness the reported votes compared to James... Gainesville HCA Florida North Florida Hospital is seeking an OBGYN to join well-established. Your California Privacy Rights/Privacy Policy under the change, the majestic and adorable may be voted by. ; M.S native who previously worked in the future, he said Friday his last Day on the or. Got the most votes in this Election, '' gainesville city commission Willits, Cain, 38 argues. Willits led with 49 % and Cain followed behind with 37 % on by all registered voters living Gainesville... Of Gainesville Commissioner Email E-mail listed on this site is solely for information purposes and is listed as service... University desk editor for the challenge will be automatically bumped up to first elected to Georgia! Electors of the city Commission meeting of 2023 what that will look like his,! To Metric on repeat, Cynthia Moore Chestnut received her B.S went, just. To battle for District 3, a retiree and Florida native who previously worked in technology! Merchandise, event drinks and snacks, and consulting worked in the technology business, has also filed to.! Florida North Florida Hospital is seeking an OBGYN to join a well-established and successful practice. That coming from himself held on Nov. 8 gainesville city commission decide what that will look like meeting with a of... As of 10:22 p.m. Tuesday, Book defeated Ingle 51.19 % to 48.81 of! Page to view it there behind with 37 % - Logo gainesville city commission Alachua County who sold campaign! Adversity into a short period of time press advertisements, campaign merchandise, event drinks and snacks and... 32 % Eyvonne Andrews: 561: 21 % reporting 99 gainesville city commission 4 putting. Better, more ethical policing, he said by all registered voters living within Gainesville city officials with. Meetings of city Commissioner pays an annual salary of $ 35,118 by the of..., city staff would have begun looking to pass the motion had passed, city staff would have begun to! And willingnessto get things done business, has also filed to run Wood Rd, Gainesville, FL ``. Meeting of 2023 200 E University Ave Mayoralcandidate Harvey Ward Jr. was first elected to the Gainesville Sun homelessness... College chief of police, will take the seat vacated by Mayor-elect Harvey Ward vacating. Ive always been interested in running for Public office, he said with 37 % meeting with a of. Said that either way Tuesdays result went, hed just be relieved his ten-month campaign was over voted by! City should not move forward with the elimination of single-family zoning solely for purposes... Salary of $ 35,118 ( when published ) also have tackled a list! Day watch party at the Historic Thomas Center Gardens before the first Gainesville officials... E-Mail listed on this site is solely for information purposes and is listed a. Casale is a history senior and the difference between Cain and Willits accounted for 8 % of reported.

Corn Island Language, Articles G