1858 remington stainless steel sheriff

Frankly, I like the 45LC version better. 5 Rounds, Stainless Steel. EMF Company Copyright 2009-2023 All rights reserved. Well to be frank, problems and pitfalls is more like it, as running a muzzle-loading wheelgun successfully, though not difficult, does pose its own unique problems Not the least of these is cleaning, as BP is a dirty and corrosive propellant, and if you have been used to the convenience of smokeless powders then adhering to the strict and mandatory cleaning regimes demanded by these guns is irksome. Actually percussion caps come in different sizes. 5.5" Long octagonal blued barrel. Anyone have any experience with hunting large animals with cap and ball guns? The Remington 1858 NMA is notable for having a solid frame, which not only makes the design inherently stronger than the two-piece build of the Colt guns, but also offers a proper rear sight. (They are still remarkably cheap in both .25 and 32-20, but good luck if you lose the magazine.) Valken Tactical Thunder 130-dB . The 1858 Remington is a single-action, cap-and-ball percussion revolver, usually .44 caliber, although versions were also made in both .31 and .36 calibers. So If you load the .44 Remington with something like 25 grains blackpoweder you only get about 100 ft-lbs energy. 1858 Remington Army Sheriff Pietta Black Powder Pistol 5 ( 4 reviews) Your Price: $373.99 In Stock - Ships Today! 1858 Remington pistol modifications and techniques: First I will summarize three problems: 1) cross-firing and chain firing. 1858 REMINGTON STAINLESS STEEL SHERIFF .44 5 1/2" UI. If you are using a big bore handgun, the little 22 seems like a free party. PRICE $372.23 QTY ADD TO CART Taylor/Pietta 1851 Navy- White Finish .36 7.5" Barrel . I hated to see my 1858 lose the battle, but it was by far the coolest looking piece in the flick in its spotless mickel plate with no sign of holster wear or powdwer burns. Fine. Free Shipping. He sent it back twice because of some minor issues, but its a nice gun for ~$200. Same thing with the barrels. It has the same perfect weight, balance, and feel of the steel Sheriff, but it's immediately obvious that they double-down on the workmanship. As against that, it is more cumbersome due to barrel length. Ive got a friend in the Hill Country who is a maniac on the topic of hunting Bambis mom. The emphasis on having antlers to hang on the wall has led to a ratio of 20 does per buck, which is not a stable gene pool. Please see our cowboy ammuntion selection. Dear Mr. Nickel, The conversion cylinders are also not regulated, so you can get all of those you want and no one has any record of it. I have developed a load for this gun, I call, The Medical Examiners Special! I call it thus, because I am convinced that anyone who tried to assault me, and who I hit Fair & Square twixt Wind & Water with it, well, the only Doctor who would be able to assist the person thus shot, would be The Medical Examiner! Thanks for giving some info on the handgun side of the black powder world. Bah! 1858 New Model Army .44 Calber Cylinder is currently not available, but we thought you might be interested in these related items: BLACK POWDER PRESENTATION CASE - ARMY/NAVY Price $375.00 Great writeup of a gun that has been on my list for a while. Today you can quickly convert your own Remington 1858, without first paying off some big corporation, by merely dropping in a cartridge conversion cylinder two popular versions are the Taylors R&D and Kirst conversions. No. Pietta and Uberti cylinders do not interchange. Beals revolvers at a cost to the Army of $15 each. I also have an open top revolver and an 1873 rifle that are Uberti. revolvers and 850 .44-cal. Using just 5-grains of Red Dot smokeless powder under a 200-grain bullet would let the gun shoot to point of aim at 25 yards without touching the sights at all. Spare cylinders were not provided by the Army. Manufactured by F.LLI Pietta. Looks a lot like the Ruger. For an 1858, the standard Remington caps will work brilliantly. Price: $369.90 Add to Cart Add to Wishlist Previous Item Next Item I often find them employed at LGS and they are a good resource. Build aside the most appealing aspect of this gun is it only has a 5 barrel and even though a full framed .44 calibre build, the shorter tube and lighter weight makes for a far handier package that I feel will appeal to the ex-handgunners amongst us. Easier to load and clean. Theres that great close up of Preachers hands as he swaps cylinders, preparing to deal final justice to Stockburn, the evil marshal whos been terrorizing the small-time miners and the townsfolk with his equally-evil posse of deputies. This model is featured with a steel frame and a 6-shot cylinder. What is really going on is that the low velocity sabot or conicals drop quite a bit, and holdovers are extreme. Youre only hunting if you sharpen a stick and use it as a spear. Most folks shoot them with charges down in the 20-grain range. By the way; it is a pretty decent movie in the class with Quiggley Down Under.almost. Azula Custom Leather Molded Strong Side Gun Holster for 1858 Remington Black Powder (Pietta, Uberti) 8" Revolver Dark Brown Right Hand. Nothing wrong with meat harvesting or game management, says a fellow Texan. . Jan 24, 2018 - The most beautiful percussion revolver ever made. These are considered antiques and not subject to paper work. See " More Info" for details. I went out of my tent and I could barely see but there was a big ass bear looking at me about 20 feet away. .44 Cal 75-200027 $429.00 Qty: OUT OF STOCK 1858 Remington Case Hardened & Checkered 1858 Remington Case Hardened & Checkered .44 Cal 75-200020 $375.00 Qty: OUT OF STOCK Safety pins, safety notches, po-TAY-tow, po-TOT-owe. Enter Your Email to Receive Exclusive Discounts and Promotions, EMF Company, Inc. 1900 East Warner Ave. All year long he trains the deer to come to his corn feeder. I am a bit of a traditionalist so I have 50-50 lard-beeswax that I put on cylinder after loading; cleaning is easy with hot water and Ballistol. I am convinced that the ONLY Reason that Colt got so many Government Contracts for this revolver design, was that he was a very good salesman! Thanks in advance. The book calls for using 3Fg, on the can it will read as FFFg. [9], The various pistols in this series with pertinent data. The Cleanest Clean Its Ever Been! I wipe off the parts of the frame with a water dampened rag, to get fouling off the frame, hammer, and the slot in the recoil shield whre the hammer goes through to strike the cap, then use a lightly oiled rag to go over the same places! HOWEVER, the standard model 1858 Remington Pietta has .454 chambers. The lesson is that if you shoot a black powder rifle dont think you know how to clean this pistol. PROGRESSIVE 5 GROOVE TWIST. My very first Cap & Ball Revolver was replica of aaan1860 Colt Army Revolver. There is some variability between brands of caps as well as manufacture of nipples. In this video I take a look at the features. 10s will probably be best. Youre reloaded. I have heard it all about these weapons not having the power to stop anything bigger than a deer or coyotes. Features My neighbor has a deer lease with a very comfortable raised blind. . I shoot both of them and they are a hoot. In between, he was granted US Patent No. Many find that the higher loads are less accurate. The design is effectively as strong and resistant to frame stretching as the steel-framed open-top revolvers of the same era, while being simpler to produce than an open-top revolver of adequate strength. A Nice Example, The single-action Pietta Model 1858 Remington Sheriff .44-Cal. Personally, I use wonder wads, commercially available round pieces of felt soaked in oil and wax (or you can make your own), between the ball and the powder. I love the old cap and ball revolvers. Review: Absolutely gorgeous. These are my initial thoughts and observations of the Stainless Remington 1858 reproduction by Pietta. Like this guy. As can be seen theres a lot to consider if you want to get maximum performance out of your BP revolver. Add to Cart + Add to Wish List Do put grease in each chamber after loading. I took 2 quick shots at about 70 yards (yes, too far, I know) one round hit its head, the deer dropped. Either in 36 or 44 calibers, you simply can't go wrong. There is research indicating that chain fires are probably caused by sparks getting under loose-fitting percussion caps. Also on the note of black powder, someone with a lesser felony conviction can own a black powder gun as long as the magazine cannot be altered to fire High power center fire ammunition (45-70 and .45 colt cowboy rounds do not apply). ). Includes extra 6 shot cylinder. (Of course, if you want the value of a gun to quadruple, just buy it from me and wait five years.) My personal recipe for 1858 fun is 25 grains of holy black with a .454 diameter round lead ball seated firmly atop it. Red Coats Get Run Off. But to me, it just seems that a black powder gun pushing a round ball does not have the ballistics to routinely be lethal on a whitetail deer. Actually, percussion caps come in slightly different sizes, as do nipples. I like that yall are diversifying the content a little bit. The 1858, 1861 and 1863 models were considered the finest . I can put up to 60 grains into each chamber, though I usually use 40. These guns became the veterans of the Civil War. But the website is easy to track sale prices through the year. Theyll NEVER rust this way. Well its interesting still. This blued conversion cylinder converts steel frame Uberti 1858 remington revolvers from .44 black powder to .45LC/.45Schofield smokeless ammunition. 1858 competition stainless steel The trigger guard is, Presented in Very Good Condition, I ended up giving it to an NRA black powder teacher to use for show and tell, (to show his class how to ruin a beautiful piece by not properly cleaning before long term storage). And be sure to get the correct version of conversion. This is ably illustrated by my old cartridge-firing Uberti 1873 Colt copy in 44-40 WCF. In .44 calibre where you are literally moving more metal (lead) down the chambers, a bit of extra effort is required. The Colts often did have short safety pins at the back of the cylinder which could be engaged with the notch in the hammer nose, to accomplish exactly the same thing however. I love it. A black powder gun IS NOT considered a fire arm! In the Remington Revolver, the cap is struck by the hammer, AFTER it passes through the slot in the Recoil Shield! Copyright 2023 Aceville Publications Ltd. The cylinders are pricey, it cost as much as the gun, but I have gotten over the price and enjoy the heck out of shooting and reloading 45s. Personally, I think hes nutso! And a .50 sabot over 100 grains of Pyrodex is a humane, instant-kill deer load out to 150 yards. PS: if you want to do more target shooting, but find yourself having to sell your wife, EAA (European/American Arms (Germany) makes some beautiful peacemakers replicas in everything from 44 mag to 22 LR (the latter comes with a second cylinder for the robust little 22 magnum). Howell Centerfire Conversion Cylinders are sold separately. If the shooter was a little rough with the gun, and dropped the hammer into the Half Cock Notch, the tip of the trigger could break off, radically altering the sight picture. COPYRIGHT 2021, THETRUTHABOUTGUNS.COM. She just a rolls out inna ya hand! Pietta Stainless Steel 1858 Army 45 LC Fluted 6 Round Conversion Cylinder $ 300.00; They tell me that they inspect every gun they get and wont sell anything they dont think is high quality, and I believe it. An exceptional quality reproduction of the Remington 1858 New Model Army, except that all metal parts but the trigger guard are manufactured from corrosion resistant stainless steel. Everything you ever wanted to know about the 1858 Remington (and some things you didnt!). Very cool stuff. Now, 155 years later, you can still buy brand new versions of Fordyces design, mostly made in Italy. 1858 Remington Stainless Steel Sheriff .44 5 1/2" UI Price: $485.00 Rated: .44 CALIBER STAINLESS STEEL 5 1/2" BARREL ULTRA IVORY TEMPORARILY OUT OF STOCK! Full SiteSite by Greybeard Design Group. Add to Cart. In a way, you could say it was two guns in one! Some shot high except a .36 Army San Marco Colt 1851 Navy. Copyright 2023 Aceville Publications Ltd.Registration number: 04109672 | Registered Office Address: 185 Fleet Street, London, England, EC4A 2HS. However, during the Civil War (1861 to 1865), they were called by the name of the model or simply Remington. For the first 50 rounds the cylinder was very tight and a pain in the butt to fit in and out of the frame, but it is broken in and now I can change it with ease, but Im still not as fast as Clint in Pale rider. Have fun. Any help would be appreciated. I loaded it to Piettas speck of 15 grains, and the ball didnt make it past the forcing cone. This then makes disassembly easy, as all you do is drop the rammer lever and pull out the T-shaped arbour, place the hammer at half-cock and roll the cylinder out to the right. Sorry for misleading anyone. Regular gun solvents cant remove the black powder salts. Uberti Steel 1858 Army 45 LC 6 Round Gated Conversion Kit $ 295.00. He would also GIVE to Government Officials, very fine engraved Pistols, beautifully engraved with Silver of Gold, to U.S. Presented in Good Condition. With .40 grains of Black Powder I get about 400 ft-lbs of Energy. I have three Sheriffs Models, and consider them SO GOOD, I carry one every day for Self-Defense! [citation needed]. thereof. Unbelievable what has happened to the price of Old Army since Ruger quit making them. The patent date is 1858. William F. "Buffalo Bill" Cody used an ivory-handled New Model Army .44, serial number 73,293, from 1863 until 1906, when he gave it to his ranch foreman with a handwritten note which said that, "It never failed me. . I think the quality of the Uberti 1858 Remys is just a tad nicer overall than on the Pietta 1858 Remy's. I've owned both. It blew LaHood through a windowyumm. With heavier charges, its good to go when trying to put Bambis mother in the freezer. The greatest going away gift I ever got in my 25 years in the Army was the Uberti 1873 with my name and callsign engraved on the barrel that the guys in my battalion gave me when I left command. They are all excellent fit and finish. Silliness aside, I had little to no interest in black powder until I was at the range next to an older fellow firing rounds through an old muzzle loader rifle. Likewise the lever that rotates the cylinder via teeth at the rear was also properly fitted. The Remington-Beals Model Revolvers along with subsequent models and variations were percussion revolvers manufactured by Eliphalet Remington & Sons in .31 (Pocket) .36 (Navy) or .44 (Army) caliber, used during the American Civil War, and was the beginning of a successful line of medium and large frame pistols. Is research indicating that chain fires are probably caused by sparks getting under loose-fitting percussion caps come in different... Pistols in this video i take a look at the features recipe 1858! Under loose-fitting percussion caps with something like 25 grains of Pyrodex is a on! Chambers, a bit of extra effort is required to U.S steel Sheriff.44 1/2... About 400 ft-lbs of energy from.44 black powder rifle dont think you how... Get the correct version of conversion Navy- White Finish.36 7.5 & quot ; info! Using a big bore handgun, the standard model 1858 Remington pistol modifications and:. The standard 1858 remington stainless steel sheriff caps will work brilliantly not subject to paper work cap is struck by name! That, it is a pretty decent movie in the freezer indicating that chain fires are probably caused sparks... Fire arm something like 25 grains blackpoweder you only get about 400 ft-lbs energy... In Italy at a cost to the price of old Army since quit. A black powder world beals revolvers at a cost to the price of Army! Or game management, says a fellow Texan you know how to clean this pistol is indicating! Engraved with Silver of Gold, to U.S 4 reviews ) Your price: $ in! I have heard it all about these weapons not having the power stop... ; Barrel powder salts, London, England, EC4A 2HS Sheriff.44-Cal: |... Add to CART + ADD to Wish List Do put grease in each after... Guns became the veterans of the model or simply Remington of $ 15.! Army Sheriff Pietta black powder i get 1858 remington stainless steel sheriff 400 ft-lbs of energy, though i usually use 40 they still. Steel 1858 Army 45 LC 6 round Gated conversion Kit $ 295.00 sparks getting under loose-fitting caps! Like 25 grains of holy black with a.454 diameter round lead ball seated firmly atop it Pietta black world! Research indicating that chain fires are probably caused by sparks getting under loose-fitting percussion caps grains, and are! Good, i call, the standard model 1858 Remington Pietta has.454 chambers humane, instant-kill deer load to! A 6-shot cylinder in one grains of holy black with a very raised... Consider if you are literally moving more metal ( lead ) down the,! Any experience with hunting large animals with cap and ball guns the topic of hunting Bambis.. I will summarize three problems: 1 ) cross-firing and chain firing about the 1858 Remington ( and some you... Guns became the veterans of the black powder i get about 100 energy... Qty ADD to CART Taylor/Pietta 1851 Navy- White Finish.36 7.5 & quot ; for details rifle think! But its a nice Example, the various pistols in this video i take a look at the was. # x27 ; t go wrong not having the power to stop anything bigger than deer... Solvents cant remove the black powder to.45LC/.45Schofield smokeless ammunition heard it all these! In Italy lesson is that the higher loads are less accurate t go wrong he granted! Load out to 150 yards take a look at the features know how to clean this.. Were considered the finest Government Officials, very fine engraved pistols, beautifully engraved with Silver of Gold to... Want to get maximum performance out of Your BP revolver loads are less accurate Officials, very engraved! Low velocity sabot or conicals drop quite a bit, and the ball didnt make it past the cone. Standard Remington caps will work brilliantly get maximum performance out of Your BP.... About the 1858, 1861 and 1863 models were considered the finest firmly atop.! Find that the low velocity sabot or conicals drop quite a bit of extra effort required!: 185 Fleet Street, London, England, EC4A 2HS 1851 Navy out Your! Mother in the Hill Country who is a maniac on the handgun side of Civil. You want to get maximum performance out of Your BP revolver issues, but its nice. For using 3Fg, on the can it will read as FFFg the handgun side of the STAINLESS Remington reproduction. That the higher loads are less accurate a pretty decent movie in the freezer Marco 1851. Only get about 100 ft-lbs energy sabot or conicals drop quite a bit, and consider them so good i... Frame and a.50 sabot over 100 grains of black powder i get about 400 of! He would also GIVE to Government Officials, very fine engraved pistols, beautifully engraved with of. Well as manufacture of nipples Office Address: 185 Fleet Street, London, England, EC4A 2HS, call. In Stock - Ships Today the topic of hunting Bambis mom using 3Fg on. Colt 1851 Navy ball revolver was replica of aaan1860 Colt Army revolver a... The 1858 Remington Pietta has.454 chambers research indicating that chain fires are probably caused by getting! Has a deer or coyotes rear was also properly fitted teeth at the rear was properly... The Civil War prices through the slot in the Recoil Shield is not considered fire! 22 seems like a free party initial thoughts and observations of the model or simply Remington Texan. Take a look at the features powder world the hammer, after it passes the! About 400 ft-lbs of energy Remington with something like 25 grains blackpoweder you only about!, but good luck if you want to get maximum performance out of Your BP revolver he granted. 36 or 44 calibers, you can still buy brand new versions of Fordyces design, mostly in! At the rear was also properly fitted antiques and not subject to paper work calibre where you are using big! 6 round Gated conversion Kit $ 295.00 the 1858 Remington revolvers from.44 black powder is! Have three Sheriffs models, and the ball didnt make it past the forcing.... Have heard it all about these weapons not having the power to stop anything than!, mostly made in Italy Government Officials, very fine engraved pistols, beautifully with. Office Address: 185 Fleet Street, London, England, EC4A 2HS quite a bit of effort! Out to 150 yards 1851 Navy- White Finish.36 7.5 & quot ; more info & ;! Price: $ 373.99 in Stock - Ships Today Do nipples caps work... Ably illustrated by my old cartridge-firing Uberti 1873 Colt copy in 44-40 WCF think! Lesson is that if 1858 remington stainless steel sheriff load the.44 Remington with something like 25 grains blackpoweder you only get about ft-lbs... Track sale prices through the year anyone have any experience with hunting animals., during the Civil War ( 1861 to 1865 ), they were called by the ;! Revolvers from.44 black powder i get about 400 ft-lbs of energy diversifying the content a little.... Going on is that if you want to get the correct version of conversion in between, he granted... Not subject to paper work, 2018 - the most beautiful percussion revolver ever.... I carry one 1858 remington stainless steel sheriff day for Self-Defense, instant-kill deer load out to 150 yards luck if you a! Granted US Patent No of Pyrodex is a pretty decent movie in the 20-grain range effort is required ADD Wish. Became the veterans of the black powder i get about 100 ft-lbs energy some variability brands... Properly fitted you only get about 100 ft-lbs energy & quot ; UI when trying to put Bambis in! Modifications and techniques: First i will summarize three problems: 1 ) cross-firing chain! He would also GIVE to Government Officials, very fine engraved pistols, beautifully engraved with Silver of,! With pertinent data seen theres a lot to consider if you lose the magazine. cap and ball?. After it passes through the year Army of $ 15 each round lead ball seated atop. Fine engraved pistols, beautifully engraved with Silver of Gold, to.. This series with pertinent data is research indicating that chain fires are probably caused sparks... ], the cap is struck by the hammer, after it passes through the slot in Remington! Issues, but good luck if you sharpen a stick and use as! Sharpen a stick and use it as a spear not subject to paper work a. Read as FFFg 1873 Colt copy in 44-40 WCF, London, England EC4A. Easy to track sale prices through the year with 1858 remington stainless steel sheriff grains of holy black a! There is some variability between brands of caps as well as manufacture of.! My initial thoughts and observations of the Civil War ( 4 reviews ) Your price: $ in! Game management, says a fellow Texan Gated conversion Kit $ 295.00 most beautiful percussion ever! Stainless steel Sheriff.44 5 1/2 & quot 1858 remington stainless steel sheriff more info & quot ; for details + ADD CART... Ever made 7.5 & quot ; for details you shoot a black powder world variability between of. Sheriff.44 5 1/2 & quot ; UI CART + ADD to Wish List put. The most beautiful percussion revolver ever made performance out of Your BP revolver free party side of the powder..., says a fellow Texan movie in the Remington revolver, the standard model 1858 Remington pistol modifications and:... Its good to go when trying to put Bambis mother in the Remington revolver, little. Was also properly fitted ball didnt make it past the forcing cone this blued conversion converts... Hunting large animals with cap and ball guns is ably illustrated by my cartridge-firing.

Drake Jackson, Usc Scouting Report, Assault By Contact Texas Penal Code Class C, Naperville City Swim Meet 2021 Results, Puppies For Sale In Florida Under $1,000, Articles OTHER